Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Spicy Post-Zumba Dinner

Zumba is a cardio exercise class based on Latin dances like salsa, merengue and rumba. I’ve been going to classes for several months now. It makes me feel spicy and “saucy.” So that was my inspiration for tonight’s dinner. I had frozen salmon, remnants of different pastas, roma tomatoes, and onion to work with. It ended up being a salmon pasta with fresh veggies—with some heat to fit my mood.

Spicy Salmon Pasta
1 cup pasta, cooked and drained with 1 cup liquid reserved
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ yellow onion, sliced
4 oz frozen salmon filet, thawed
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 roma tomato, diced
2 Tbsp light pasta sauce
¼ tsp dried dill weed
¼ cup dry white wine
Salt and pepper
1 cup torn fresh spinach
½ Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese

Cook pasta and reserve 1 cup liquid. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes. Add salmon and break it up with spatula as it cooks, about 4 minutes. Add in roma tomato, pasta sauce, crushed red pepper and oregano. Cook about 1 minute. Add in dill weed, white wine and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook 1 more minute, just until spinach is wilted. (Add reserved pasta liquid if sauce gets dry at any point) Top pasta with salmon sauce. Sprinkle cheese on top.

This dish smelled so delicious once I got all the herbs in the sauce, I had a hard time waiting to dig in. I enjoyed this with Conundrum White Wine—one of my new favorites. I also used this wine in the sauce so the flavors carried through. I had enough leftover for a small lunch portion to enjoy tomorrow.

If you don’t like spicy food, cut back or omit the red pepper--same goes with the dill. I happen to love it, btu if you don't, just use less. If you’re counting points, I’d guess my dinner serving was about 9 points.

You can see my random mix of pasta

My dinner serving with delicious Conundrum White Wine

2 comments:

  1. MamMa & Poppie came yesterday for Connor's pre-school graduation so I showed them your food blog. They were impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try this one soon for sure! I love Conundrum wine as well!! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete