Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fat Tuesday: Bourbon Street Salmon Pasta

I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the name of this dish. Perhaps it would have been named differently, but since it was Fat Tuesday, this seemed appropriate. Anything to make the mid-week doldrums a little more fun!

I got the inspiration for this pasta dish from a recipe for Scotch Salmon. I already had all the ingredients except the smoked salmon, which also pleased me. (Don't start thinking I'm easy to please, now)

This whole meal came together in about 30 minutes and provided enough for 3 hearty servings. You easily substitute a different vegetable if you don't like/have peas. Also, I think a jarred sun-dried tomato pesto would have been a nice addition.

Bourbon Street Salmon Pasta
1 1/2 cups farfalle (bow tie) pasta
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp margarine
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup bourbon whiskey (I used Brent's expensive Basil Hayden's--shhh)
2 cups chicken stock
2 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
1/2 cup milk (I used skim and it came out just fine, but of course heavy cream would be dreamy)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup (8 oz) smoked salmon, cut into 1 inch pieces
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium heat. Melt oil and butter, adding garlic when melted. Cook for about 1 minute. Add flour and stir quickly to remove any clumps. Add bourbon, stock, sun-dried tomatoes and parsley, cooking about 3 minutes until slightly thick and bubbly.

Tip: If you don't have bourbon in your house you can substitute 1 tsp vanilla extract or sparkling apple cider!

Add milk, peas and salmon and cook through until peas are cooked. Season with salt and pepper as appropriate.
The sauce before adding the pasta

Drain pasta and add to skillet, tossing to combine.

Colorful and bursting with flavor

This dish doesn't need a lot of extra salt since the stock and smoked salmon provide that flavor. I really enjoyed this, but found myself wishing I'd added some shallots when I added the garlic. I think it needed that slightly onion-y taste.

But overall, I was really happy with my impromptu Fat Tuesday main course. Of course, we had to follow it up with a wonderful Bread Pudding with Grand Marnier Caramel Sauce!

1 comment:

  1. OH. MY. GOSH. I could eat my computer screen right now. That looks SOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete