Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cheesy Sunday Night Dinner

I watched Rachael Ray's new show this morning as I was enjoying my coffee and oatmeal. The new show is based on the concept of cooking a week's worth of food in one day. Then all you have to do is re-heat when the busy week commences. I fell in love with one dish, so I did the cooking for that today. I'll post the recipe and pictures on the night we actually eat it! Can't wait.

Since I was on a Rachael Ray kick, I pulled out a cookbook I was given a couple years ago. There are some really great quick recipes so I made one for dinner tonight. This dinner took me all of 15 minutes. WOW.

Gnocchi with Spinach and Gorgonzola
2 (10 oz) boxes of frozen chopped spinach
2 (14 to 16 oz) packages fresh gnocchi (I used DeLallo brand Tri-Color and Whole Wheat)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp chopped garlic (I used the jarred kind because its so quick and easy)
black pepper
1 cup chicken stock
8 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

Defrost the spinach in the microwave according to package instructions. Drain in colander.

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for gnocchi.

Place walnut in saute pan over medium heat and toast until fragrant, about 4 minutes.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and then the spinach, breaking up with spatula. Season with salt and pepper, add the stock and bring to a light boil. Add the Gorgonzola and stir until the cheese melts.

As the cheese is melting, add the gnocchi to the pot. Cook about 3 minutes, until the gnocchi start to float to the top. Drain, then add the spinach mixture to the drained gnocchi and toss to coat. Add in most of the walnuts. Serve topped with reserved walnuts.

We purchased a rotisserie chicken while we were at the store this afternoon. It went perfectly with the slightly heavy gnocchi.

This dish was a winner! Because it didn't require heavy cream for the sauce, this is relatively healthy. Although, I didn't like the whole wheat gnocchi as well as the regular or tri-color.

No comments:

Post a Comment