Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Zucchini Basil Soup

July and the beginning of August flew by for several reasons, but now I'm back and in full swing. Until the wedding and honeymoon of course!

Zucchini is in season right now and so I found two recipes highlighting the green squash this week. They both come from a Weight Watchers cookbook, but you'd never guess it. They're delicious.

Look at all my beautiful zuchhini!
Zucchini Basil Soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp light butter
1 large white onion, chopped
5 cups chicken broth
1 8 oz potato, peeled and chopped (I used a yellow one)
6 medium zucchini, chopped
4 Tbsp fresh chopped basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stock pot, melt butter and olive over medium high heat. Add onion and cook about 2 minutes until soft. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook about 8 minutes until potatoes are soft. Add zucchini and cook 5 minutes. Make sure not to overcook the zucchini or the soup will not turn out bright green. Add basil leaves. Remove pot from heat and let cool slightly. Puree with immersion blender (or you can use a food processor) until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or cold.

Serves 8
Only 1 point for 1 1/4 cups!!

Immersion blender in case you've never seen one

This was so easy! I have enough to last me through the week. I love basil so this was a home run for me. I'll add this to my arsenal of healthy, easy and affordable summer dishes.
Garnished with a sprig of basil...delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment