Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tilapia with Zesty Tomato Sauce

Once again, I found a recipe on the Weight Watchers website for inspiration, but made it my own. I'd eaten a really healthy lunch at Panera Bread-try their seasonal Strawberry Chicken Poppyseed Salad (only 5 points for the whole thing!) if you get a chance. However, I couldn't resist the "deconstructed" S'mores that our culinary team made as a snack. I took a small piece of the sweet goodness and knew immediately that it was way too creamy and crumbly to be healthy.

So I had only 2.5 points left for dinner. YIKES! That meant I needed to:
a. workout, which I did after dinner, and
b. eat a light dinner filled with protein and vegetables

This recipe fit the bill.

Tilapia with Zesty Tomato Sauce
2 tilapia fillets (I found a half pound package, so each fillet was about 1/4 pound)
2 1/2 Tsp olive oil (divided)
1 tsp minced garlic
2 scallions, chopped
3 anchovy fillets, canned in oil (already cooked)
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
Very little salt
Pepper to taste

Brush tilapia fillets with 1 tsp oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat remaining oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, stirring until onion is just soft, about 1 minute. Add anchovies (they'll dissolve into the mixture on their own) and tomatoes. Increase heat slightly and cook until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in vinegar and parsley, cook about 1 minute longer.

Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium high heat. Place fillets in skillet and cook about two minutes on first side until browned. Turn over and cook another two minutes. Thin tilapia fillets should be done at this point.

Serve one fillet topped with 1/2 the tomato sauce and field greens on the side. 5 points per serving.

This whole meal took me about 10 minutes to make. It was light and delicious. The red pepper flakes added a bit of heat, but you can omit them if you don't want any heat. I know I've said this before, but don't be turned off by the anchovies. They're actually really good for you--providing Omega 3's, calcium and protein. However, they are high in sodium, so that's why I added as little salt as possible to the sauce--they provide a wonderful briny salt flavor on their own.

In my dish, I added too much parsley--I think I had closer to 2 Tbsp. It was too much! So I think 1 Tbsp should do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment