Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cinnamon Orange Chicken with Dried Fruit Couscous--for Shiloh

Before I officially started the blog, I used to post my recipe titles on Facebook. It was like a big tease, I know. So just for Shiloh, here's the recipe for the Cinnamon Orange Chicken with Dried Fruit Couscous. Sorry there are no pictures--Brent and I ate it all before I realized I'd forgotten to take a picture!

Cinnamon Orange Chicken with Dried Fruit Couscous

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 tsp cinnamon, divided
1 11-oz can of mandarin oranges in light syrup
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3/4 cup dried fruit (I used golden raisins, regular raisins, and craisins), roughly chopped
28 oz reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth
2 cups whole wheat couscous
4 tsp fresh mint, thinly sliced
Salt and Pepper

Heat oven to 375°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper and 2 tsp cinnamon. Heat oil over medium-high heat in an oven-proof skillet. Saute chicken for 3 minutes. Turn and saute 2 minutes. Top with oranges and half the syrup. Place in oven and cook 20 minutes until chicken reaches165°F internal temperature. (By the way, you need to invest in a meat thermometer, if you don't already have one. I'm a stickler for safety) Remove chicken and oranges to a plate and cover with tin foil. Place skillet and drippings back on medium-high heat. Saute onion in drippings until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add dried fruit, 2 tsp cinnamon and broth. Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous, salt and pepper and 2 tsp mint. Place lid on skillet and remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork. Place 1 cup couscous on plate and top with 1 chicken breast and oranges. Garnish with remaining mint.

Makes 2 servings plus plenty of leftover couscous for lunch the next day. 

If you're counting points, one serving with chicken was about 8.

I LOVED this dish--the cinnamon was savory while the dried fruit and oranges added a nice sweetness. The leftover couscous was still good too. Brent added a little more salt to his, but I'd rather under-salt something than over-salt it. So he ends up needing more, usually. Next time I think I'll add some toasted pine nuts to the couscous or perhaps as a garnish. I think the crunch would add a little something to the dish.

2 comments:

  1. I am SO going to make this ASAP! Glad I could inspire you. I am even more glad that we are friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!! This is a great blog and I'm so excited to hear about all your recipes! Love you!

    ReplyDelete